Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Valentine's Day Stats and More

I am publishing my Valentine’s Day article a tad early just because I do not want to forget what I wish to write.

February 14th is commonly known as Valentine’s Day throughout the world. The day was known in the Catholic calendar as Saint Valentine’s Day until 1969 when many saints’ feasts were dropped due to lack of historical knowledge.

The holiday of Valentine’s Day came to America most likely from English settlers in the 1600 or 1700s. Valentine cards were originally hand made but the forces of market imperialism and mass-market cards were wrought into this word by Esther Howland in 1847.

The Greeting Card Association says about one billion valentine cards are sent each year worldwide, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year behind Christmas. Eighty-five percent of all the cards are purchased by women.

To put a geographic spin on this day I found the US Census Bureau’s Valentine’s Day demographic breakdown. All sorts of interesting information like Nevada ranks 35th in population but ranks 5th in number of marriages.

Valentine’s Day has entered the realm of geopolitics. Both radical Hindus and Islamists have denounced Valentine’s Day for pushing “imperial, western values” like, um… love and kindness. Then again these arguments come from the same people who believe freedom of speech is terrorism. So to any activists out there, even if you are single be sure to buy something special on Valentine’s Day to stand up to totalitarianism!

I wish to do shout-outs to very special people in my life who I know read the blog.

  • The Experience: Quick links to your two favorite blog posts of all time. One and two.
  • Maisondebois: I bring bad news for the city of Detroit.
  • Olive Lover: I know you are married but I know you will enjoy this and this.
  • Owner of Olive Lover: Please don’t hurt me!
  • Little Ms. Knows It All: You are wrong!

Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day everyone!

No comments: