Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2006

In the Black Hills - Part 1


I am right now in the beautiful Custer State Game Lodge in Custer State Park which is in the Black Hills. Today I will be taking it easy by trying to catch the US-Ghana game; then proceeding on to Mount Rushmore, and then wrapping the day up with some hikes. I will have a full trip recap when I return home.

Yesterday I saw Crazy Horse Memorial. Work has been going on in one form or another since 1939. I do not expect to ever be complete in the form of the models they are showing. The monument is dedicated to Crazy Horse who was a Lakota warrior who fought against the United States. The site was chosen because of its closeness to Mount Rushmore and because the Lakota thought the Black Hills were their scared mountains. Funny, because in the 1700s the Arikara were there hundreds of years before and were ethnically cleansed from the area.

No comments: