Pages

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

May 2012 Travel Photo: Revolutionary War Redoubt in Savannah, Georgia

The redoubt that defeated Catholicgauze.  Photo by me.
 The Spring Hill Redoubt is a recreation of a redoubt (minifort) made by the British to defend Savannah in 1779 from American rebels and French colonial troops.  In the Second Battle of Savannah the British lost about 40 troops while the French-American Alliance suffered a total loss of about 1,000.

The reason for such a difference in causalities is the redoubts which were themselves a series of man-made geographical features: a depression in the middle for soldiers to fight from, a earthen wall to protect from incoming fire, a slope to give protection and slow down attackers, and a deep trench of about six feet (two meters) to break up formations charging the redoubt.

I took my turn to charge the redoubt to see if I could have turned the tide of battle.  I ran down the trench but it was so steep I ran straight into the up-slope.  I would have ended up like the few American, French, and Haitian troops who braved the slaughter to reach the redoubts: dead, wounded, or prisoner.

A man-made geographical feature of death.

No comments: