Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Canadian Stereotype Map

 Long time reader and sometime guest blogger Canada has sent me a map of stereotypes of Canada.  The map matches many of my own thoughts and questions about various provinces of Canada including:
  • Why I hear about protests in Quebec more than elsewhere.  I assume it has something to do with the Quiet Revolution's breakdown of traditional controls.
  • Why I associate Irish-Canadian music with Newfoundland and nowhere else.
  • My belief that British Columbia is just a cultural extension of the San Francisco-Portland-Seattle urban complex.
However, it was quite surprising to me that there was no reference to Eskimos or American Indians aka First Peoples for Nunavut.  83.6% of the total population of the territory self-identifies as Inuit.  You think this unique geopolitical, integrated homeland would get some mention.

2 comments:

Dan tdaxp said...

"My belief that British Columbia is just a cultural extension of the San Francisco-Portland-Seattle urban complex"

This matches my impressions on the ground. Folks in the Pacific Northwest are very eager to claim San Francisco as the southern extension of the Pacific Northwest.

See also "Cascadia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_(independence_movement)

Anonymous said...

Everything about british columbia in that map is 100% true. I've lived here all my life.