Pages

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

September 2010 Travel Photo: Guanajuato Sun Roof

I took this photo in November 2009 during my trip to Mexico.

The city of Guanajuato is the capital of the Mexican state with the same name.  It is located in a bowl with historical, New Spain-style colonial dominating in the center.


View Larger Map

The mornings were cool, to the point my fingers ached.  However, once the sun's rays conquered the hill and filled the bowl it warmed up into 70 degrees (lower to mid 20s degrees Celsius).  The home I rented had a roof which had tables and a wooden shade roof on top.  From here I could eat breakfast and enjoy the outdoor sounds lie a man selling propane while he yelled "/ghaas/", cars in distance, bells from the many churches in town, and the market a few blocks away.

An added extra was the glass floor on the roof which acted as a skylight for both the library on the second floor and the kitchen on the main level.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Holy European! When I saw this picture I was sure it was from Greece or Italy. I need to work on my architecture, or alternatively learn anything of substance about architecture :)

smeeko said...

November 2010? - you travel in time now, as well? :)

Catholicgauze said...

Ryan,
Guanajuato has a very Mediterranean feel when it comes to architecture. The churches and everything else are pure 1600s Spain. Drop me a line if you want to see more photos. (I also recommend Guanajuato to all, it is outside the Drug War belt and the spot Mexicans like to vacation too, few Americans go there as of now). For a real Mexican feel I recommend one try to rent a house for a week.

Catholicgauze said...

Smeeko,
I can do lots of things. Just kidding, text fixed. Thank you!

sgenius said...

An even less traveled spot, and a real jewel, is nearby Zacatecas. The city has pretty much a similar feel to Guanajuato, but has many interesting things of its own, including a nightclub built inside of an old mine! It is also a very safe city, and very welcoming to visitors.