Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bluewalks: Neogeography Meets Walking Tourism

La Cartoteca proves once again why it is Catholicgauze's favorite Spanish-language blog by discovering Bluewalks. Bluewalks is an online collaborative flight which asks users to create and share their favorite walking paths for tourists. The mapping system is based on Google Maps so it is easy for almost everyone to create, share, and view the maps. Currently a good deal of Europe, some of the United States, and elsewhere have been mapped. The four languages of Bluewalks are English, Chinese, Spanish, and Catalan.

I greatly enjoy walking as it allows one to be outside in the environment and gives amble time to absorb one's surroundings. Traveling in an enclosed place such as a car cannot give this feeling. Because of this when I travel I like to see the sites by walking.

When I get back to the United States I will be sure to make a couple of these maps and share it with the rest of you.

1 comment:

v said...

Hello!

My name is Vojislav and I am one of the founders of bluewalks. I'm so glad to see that people like what we do and that they find our tool helpful.

I would like to add that we (just as you have written) currently do support only four languages, but we have published a tool for translation of the website. Anyone who wishes can help translating bluewalks into their language. It's easy and most of the work is automated. Right now about 10 languages are available for translation. If you would like to translate to a language that isn't on the list, just send us an e-mail and we will put it up for you.

Thank you for writing about us!