Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Israel Hamas War on Google Earth

Online geographers are keeping busy as yet another war in the Middle East breaks out. A Google Earth user only known as "IsraelForiegnMinistry" has released a KML file that shows Hamas rocket impact sites in Israel around the Gaza Strip. The file can be viewed on Google Maps or the KML can be downloaded for Google Earth. Date is appears up to date as of December 31, 2008.

While the Israeli Defense Force has started their own YouTube channel I doubt this is a public release from the Israeli government. However, it is a sign of the times how neogeography is using the tools of the information age to quickly convey geographic data. This reminds me of my Russia-Georgia War maps for Google Earth and Google Maps.

In the future I hope for better sourcing of data (something I am guilty of) and a community effort to perfect products. Anyone who is interested in something like this feel free to contact me so we can work together.

No comments: