Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Neogeography and Catholicgauze's Atlas

I have joined the "Neogeography," "mashups," or whatever you call them crowd of integrating online technology with geography. National Geographic writes about the trend, so does Map Room Blog, and Placekraft.

I feel Neogeography can be a really useful tool for geographers and non-geographers. We must be careful though not to think it is the Holy Grail that will completely rebuild the field like some thought of Quantitative Analysis or GIS.

But the big thing you all probably notice is the new map on the top of the page. That is Catholicgauze's Atlas! The Atlas, also viewable here, is spatially placed links to some of my blog posts. Go on and explore and tell me what you think.

There is a variety of Neogeography tools out there. I am using Platial but there is also Tagzania and Frapper. Let me know which one you prefer or if I left anyone out. Two interesting projects using neogeography are Chicago Crime, which maps out different types of crime reported in Chicago, and "Where I was When 9/11 Happened?"


Category: Neogeography

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching your map grow- Feel like I'm traveling with you. Your iframe looks great!

Catholicgauze said...

Thanks Deisnor!

Dilettante Ventures said...

Another site is Wayfaring.

Sorry deisnor, you know we love you all at platial, but had to mention a competitor in fairness. By the way, wayfaring offers a really nice feature of making paths/travel/routes a part of your map. Is platial developing something similar?

Catholicgauze said...

Thanks for the link!