Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

No Trick Treats: Map of Dietary Friendly Trick or Treat Spots

Ghosts, monsters, vampires, werewolves, and zombies will walk the streets this Halloween (fortunately only hunting for candy).  There is a real fear for many families, though.  Children suffering from medically-necessitated dietary restrictions are at risk of severe reactions to foods with items like nuts, gluten, and high levels of sugar.  There are also many more children who have voluntary restrictions like kosher, vegan, and organic diets.

This is a potential Google Maps mashup that can help save Halloween for these children.  No Trick Treats allows users to search for and place locations that will be handing out vegan, organic, raw, fruits/vegetables, nut-free, kosher, sugar-free, gluten-free, and non-food goods.  There are a limited amount of locations so far but hopefully press coverage of the site will encourage more people to use it.

A vegan Halloween... what a scary thought.

3 comments:

The Lazy Geographer said...

First, I live with a vegetarian (almost vegan), and let me tell you this: vegan is not as healthy as people make it out to be. It can have just as much fat and sugar if not more than meatasaurus foods.

Second, apples for Halloween never go over well. Neither do tooth brushes. =p

That being said, I am borrowing this story for my blog, with proper attribution, to see how it goes over with my crowd. They seem to be a bunch of ne'er-do-wells so it may result in some amusing comments.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Catholicgauze said...

I'll be sure to check for the comments. :)

Unknown said...

This is why I give out little toys and not food. I don't believe in giving our kids more sugar and crap than they can already get. It grosses me out...the whole thing.