Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Catholicgauze's Summer Reading List

Well, Catholicgauze has been tagged by an insidious internet ring which demanded my summer reading list. Well, since the thesis is a time-consuming monster I will include books I have read since March and hope to get in, somehow, by the end of the summer.

Military Geography: From Peace to War by Eugene J. Palka and Francis A. Galgano. A textbook which applies military geography to historical battles, operation preparation, base land-use, medical geography, peace time, and natural landscapes.

A Geography of Human Life by Tsunesaburo Makiguchi. A hundred year old Japanese geography textbook. Discusses how various geographic features affect humans on a personal and cultural level.

Shadowed Ground: America's Landscapes of Violence and Tragedy by Kenneth E. Foote. A study of how places of tragedy in America are either sanctified, simply marked, put back to normal use, or obliterated.

The Oregon Trail Revisited by Gregory M. Franzwa. THE travel guide for the modern day adventure along the Oregon Trail.

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden. Taking down narco-terrorists.

Reel Baseball by Les Krantz. Short stories about Baseball before money, drugs, and steroids.

God's Continent: Christianity, Islam, and Europe's Religious Crisis by Philip Jenkins. Will Muslims or Evangelical Christians inherit Europe?

3 comments:

Goethe Girl said...

I just discovered your site, so forgive me if I've overlooked this -- but have you read any books by the geographer Yi-fu Tuan? I am currently reading "Escapism."

Catholicgauze said...

Goethe,
No I haven't. Do you recommend it? Tuan's humanism has always been an aside study for me.

Goethe Girl said...

I'm enjoying "Escapism." I think Alain de Botom has been inspired by him, especially his book on travel.